Have Fun for a Good Cause at Myrtle Beach Area Charity Events
There's something special about having a good time while helping others and the Grand Strand offers plenty of opportunities to do so. From sporting events to entertainment-oriented affairs, these charity events will put a smile on your face in more ways than one. Here are some of our favorite fundraisers that offer a good time for a great cause in Myrtle Beach:
- Car show: The 28th Annual Run to the Sun Car Show is set for March 18-20 at the former Myrtle Beach Mall site, featuring vintage cars and classic convertibles on display. Hosted by the Pee Dee Street Rodders Club, this event attracts more than 3,000 entries and even more car enthusiasts to look under the hoods and take a stroll down memory lane. Admission is free but vehicle entry fees, raffles and other contests raised nearly $100,000 for several local charities last year.
- Comedy show: They say laughter is the best medicine, and that's certainly the case for the American Heart Society's Relay 4 Life benefit at the Carolina Comedy Club in Myrtle Beach on Saturday, March 20, at 6 p.m. A comedy show, raffle and buffet are among the activities planned for the night.
- Fashion shows: Keeping up with the latest trends in apparel and accessories is considered more of a hobby than an act of kindness, but the Grand Strand has a pair of events that will allow you to combine style with charity. The Fourth Annual Purses for a Purpose event will be held April 7 at 6 p.m. at the Grande Dunes Marina Inn, where male models display the latest fads in purses to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. On April 30, the Fashion for Compassion fundraiser features a fashion show involving common household items, such as a plastic spoon or a coffee filter. Proceeds go to New Directions, a charity dedicated to helping move people out of poverty. A cash bar, silent auction, food and drinks are available at both events.
- Golf: Whether you want to watch or play, golf is a great way to have a good time and raise funds for a worthy cause. The spectator sporting event of the year is the Monday After The Masters Hootie and the Blowfish Celebrity Pro-Am, which brings some of the top PGA Tour pros, as well as others sports, music, movie and TV stars to the Barefoot Landing Golf Resort's Dye Course. Large galleries follow their favorite foursomes and get autographs of participating stars, which this year include U.S. women’s soccer legends Mia Hamm and Abby Wambach, U.S. Ryder Cup Captain and 21-time PGA Tour champion Davis Love III, and Pro Football Hall of Famer Dan Marino. There are also various charity golf tournaments held at courses throughout the Grand Strand.
- Trivia Night: Put all that useless knowledge inside your head to work for a good cause at the St. Michael's Catholic Church Trivia Night on Friday, April 8, at 7 p.m. As a fundraiser for the Children's Recovery Center, St. Michael's hosts an adult-only event that allows teams to match wits, compete for prizes and enjoy a buffet in a fun environment.
- Walk/Run Events: Helping a local charity is as simple as putting one foot in front of the other at these fitness-themed events. The Walk MS benefit is set for Saturday, April 9 at 8:30 a.m. at Grand Park in the Market Common district. Large crowds show their support for those suffering with MS by taking a short stroll around the lake and making a small donation to the cause.
After helping others, do something nice for yourself by staying at Myrtle Beach’s Ocean Reef Resort. Enjoy our clean and comfortable oceanfront accommodations and modern amenities, such as our indoor/outdoor waterpark, spacious beachfront pool deck and on-site dining options. It's the perfect way to treat yourself after doing something nice for others.