Myrtle Beach is known for the wide, white sandy beaches, lots of restaurants and great attractions, but the holidays bring out a different side of things. As a guest at the Ocean Reef Resort, while relaxing to the ocean sounds during the day, it is time to bring the night to life by enjoying one of the many Holiday Shows. Here are some of the shows you won’t want to miss:
* Legends in Concert Christmas Show: The Legends in Concert Theater at Broadway at the Beach features some of the most iconic Christmas performers of all time in the form of amazing tribute artists who have dedicated their careers to mastering the looks and sounds of stars like Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, Dolly Parton and Rod Stewart, just to name a few. The tributes will make you feel like you have traveled back in time to see the real thing, and their performances will surely bring back some fond Christmas memories from the past. Guests will also enjoy some of the comedy routines of the Blues Brothers and Dean Martin, as well as some classic big band numbers from the house orchestra and a closing number that will put you in the holiday spirit.
* Pirates Voyage Christmas Show: The real-life pirates who patrolled the waters just off our coast probably never had a Christmas like the one portrayed on the watery stage at the Pirates Voyage theater in Myrtle Beach, but the myths and legends merge with Charles Dickens' classic novel “A Christmas Carol” to create a unique and entertaining take on the holiday. Captain Scrooge and his crew discover the magic of the season on the high seas and celebrate through song, dance and high-flying acrobatics. This dinner theater offers a holiday-themed meal, dancing mermaids, animal acts and more to entertain guests of all ages. The Dolly Parton-owned theater is only 2 miles from Long Bay Resort.
* The Christmas Show of the South: This holiday showcase has become a Christmas tradition on the Grand Strand, and this year it features an updated show and lineup to entertain sellout crowds for its 32nd annual presentation. Hosted at Calvin Gilmore's shrine The Carolina Opry, this traditional performance features a star-studded cast performing gospel, country and holiday classics. The venue is almost as spectacular as the show, with more than 25,000 lights adorning the 35 Christmas trees on display. The family-friendly performance is sure to light a little Christmas spirit in everyone in your party.
* Dinner Theater: You could sail the seven seas and not find a Christmas show as unique as the one featured at Pirates Voyage. Located about 1 miles north of the Ocean Reef Resort, this Dolly Parton production uses its pirate cast and crew for an entertaining retelling of “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens. Watch as Captain Scrooge recounts his scurrilous career and tries to put his pirating ways behind him. But really, who needs a plot when you have mermaids, acrobats, live animals, cannons, singing, dancing and high-diving? Oh yeah, it’s all topped off with a tasty meal that's as family-friendly as the show.
* Alabama Theatre: If you miss the good old days of a country Christmas, you can find the next best thing at The Alabama Theatre. Their holiday production of “The South's Grandest Christmas Show” has been infusing viewers with the holiday spirit for decades. The Alabama Theatre's Holiday styled shows feature outstanding singers, dancers, comedians and other talented performers that create Christmas magic on stage.
After a night out at the shows, return to Ocean Reef Resort as the visions of sugar plums dance in your head in your cozy bed for a relaxing holiday retreat in Myrtle Beach.