Nothing spoils the perfect Christmas celebration than a kitchen full of dirty pots, pans and plates, especially if you’re the one in charge of clean-up duty. If Santa Claus has you on his nice list this year, maybe he will treat you to a day or night out for the holidays. But your options are limited as most restaurants close their doors for Christmas Eve and Day. Fortunately, some of the Grand Strand’s best eateries stay open for those special dates. Here’s a list of the top five places to enjoy Christmas lunch or dinner in Myrtle Beach:
* Brentwood House: Celebrate Christmas in grand style at one of the top restaurants on the Grand Strand. This fine dining establishment offers four-course French cuisine and an extensive wine list. Enjoy award-winning filet mignon, rack of lamb, osso bucco and select seafood items such as lobster tails and seared scallops for a fine surf-and-turf combination. Brentwood House is, as the name infers, located in a vintage house so there are private rooms for larger parties and, weather permitting, a new outdoor patio deck. Brentwood House is open 4 to 9 p.m. for Christmas Eve and 1 to 7 p.m. on Christmas Day. Reservations are recommended.
* California Dreaming: With two locations on the Grand Strand, one in North Myrtle Beach and the other in Surfside Beach, this popular Charleston-based chain is open for lunch and dinner on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Serving a wide selection of steaks, seafood and salads, California Dreaming is the ideal location for families. The menu features kids' dishes as well as some favorites among the grownups, like the award-winning prime rib, excellent salmon and chopped salads that can easily be substituted for a meal. Reservations are not required. Sister restaurant Carolina Roadhouse in Myrtle Beach is also open both days.
* Damon's: If you were really good this year, Santa might treat you to some of the best ribs this side of Memphis at Damon's Oceanfront Grill. Located in a beach house-style stilt house on the south end of Myrtle Beach, this regional chain serves some of the most tender baby backs on the beach and a wide selection of American classics that will satisfy the whole family. The family-casual atmosphere and ocean view add to the experience. Damon's is open for lunch and dinner both Christmas Eve and Day. Reservations are not required.
* Greg Norman's Australian Grill: Celebrate Christmas in the Land Down Under without leaving the Grand Strand at this award-winning establishment. Located at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, this upscale eatery serves fresh seafood and “landfood” – perfect for surf-and-turf fans. The menu offers some creative cuisine with an Australian twist and the wine list is as well traveled as the famous golfer and namesake of the restaurant. Greg Norman's is open for dinner both Christmas Eve and Day and reservation are recommended.
* Thoroughbred's: This Myrtle Beach institution puts out a special spread for the holidays with its delicious steaks and chops as well as seafood dishes. Located on Restaurant Row, this popular fine dining eatery provides tableside service along with some of the best steaks in town. Try the prime rib, the rack of lamb or the roast duck and pair it with some shrimp, scallops or other seafood items for a true surf and turf feast. The atmosphere is perfect for a formal affair or for a family gathering. Thoroughbred's is open for dinner both Christmas Eve and Day. Reservations are recommended.
(Photo Courtesy: myrtlebeach.com)